Welcome to the University of Massachusetts Medical School (UMMS), the commonwealth’s first and only public academic health sciences center.
Our mission is to advance the health and well-being of the people of the commonwealth and the world through pioneering education, research and health care delivery with clinical partner UMass Memorial Health Care, the largest health care provider in Central Massachusetts.
- UMMS was founded in 1962 to provide affordable, high-quality medical education to state residents and to increase the number of primary care physicians practicing in underserved areas of the state.
- Consistently ranked by U.S.News & World Report as one of the leading medical schools in the nation for primary care education.
- Federal and private research grants and contracts exceeding $240 million in fiscal year 2013.
- Enhancing health and science education, ensuring community health, building a diverse workforce and enriching lives through extensive community outreach.
- Located in Worcester, Massachusetts, one of five University of Massachusetts campuses.